VCT Magazine Issue #25
- Polishing...the Interior???
- The Birth of the Classic Airstream
- The Unknown Wally
- What are those Big Red Numbers?
- 1935 Torpedo Barn Find
- How Wally Byam Popularized Caravanning
- A1956 Bubble - A Link to the Past
- 1964 Airstream Bambi II - The Airstream Dream
- Alumination - An Upcoming Documentary
- All Airstreams Look the Same
- Trailer Life Magazine Turns 75 - A Look Back
- 1957 Airstream Custom Barn Find
- 1967 Airstream Globetrotter - Project Midge
- 1978 Airstream Tradewind
- From our Facebook Friends
- How to Measure for a Replacement Mattress
- USA Rally Calendar
I’m no Airstream expert. The closest that I come to a silver bullet in my collection is the 1960 Streamline that we are currently restoring. One thing I do know is that Airstream owners are very knowledgeable about the history of the brand and even the provenance of their own trailer. They are a justifiably a proud tribe that tows and shows these coveted shiny American icons in packs exclusive to their “own kind” as well as at vintage trailer rallies mixed among the painted canned hams.
The Airstreams iconic shape resonates with the general public as well. Whenever the topic of the vintage camper trailer hobby comes up with “non-trailerites”, their response is “you mean like the big shiny ones?” Even if they can’t recall the Airstream name, it is obvious that they are picturing the silhouette of a Twinkie shaped aluminum trailer riddled with rivets. An acquisition that they may dream of for a lifetime.
Fortunately this hobby has given me friends and supporters that are experts on Airstreams. (See the “Contributors To This Issue” on the previous page.) Each of these individuals is immersed in their knowledge of the brand and generously shared some of that information with the Vintage Camper Trailers Magazine. I thank them for all of their help and continued support of our efforts.
Whether you own one, or just admire Airstreams, their history as one of America’s great success stories is undeniable. I hope that this issue is a wealth of accurate information that honors the past, shares current tales of rescues and restorations and gives you a peek into the future of books and movies coming out this year that continue to explore our fascination with Airstreams.